Sunday, October 28, 2012

The Doorman's Diary 10.27.12


A comfortable crowd is filling the place tonight. No rancor, rabble rousing, or rats. The door is easy. Folks pay and join in. Then I had a group of two couples present themselves at the door, and ask what kind of music we have. “Live jazz,” I say to their blank faces. The band is deep into trading solos about mid way in their version of Thelonious Monk’s Blue Monk and it’s clear they don’t get it. They decide the $5 cover is too steep and quickly turn to flit away, fearing I guess that I’ll try to pick their pockets or snatch their purses. If they had shown any remote interest in jazz or live music or the club, I would have invited them in, complimentary. But they have a suburban attitude, expecting to be entertained by reefer-smoking musicians and black turtleneck wearing patrons with black berets as they observe from their safely-ensconced monorail car. “BOO!” I shout and cackle loudly as they scurry off to their silver Toyota Camry.

No comments:

Post a Comment