Saturday, December 10, 2011

The Doorman’s Diary: 12.9-10.11

As The Doorman, it’s nice to encounter those for whom the jazz club is the right place at the right time. The cosmic angels smile. One such couple were at the bar. Initially they blew past me at the door. I set them straight, and once settled in… they were fine. The quartet is especially tight tonight with masterful renditions of Sonny Rollins’ St. Thomas and Softly As In A Morning Sunrise. I could tell they were jazz lovers and loving the band. It was well into the Freddie Hubbard tune Super Blue before I walked over a commented: You seem to be enjoying the music. The woman responded: “And you too – I see you nodding your head to the music.” Yes, I replied, this is my oasis from a week’s worth of cosmic calamity. “What?” she asked as the tenor released a lightning bolt wail. Chaos! I yelled. “Ahhh, chaos, I know it well,” she mused before slipping into the comfort of the descent out of Hubbard and into Coltrane

No comments:

Post a Comment