Saturday, April 9, 2011

The Doorman’s Diary: 2.8-9.11

The group we had tonight at the jazz club was a quartet. It sounded more like a trio with an extra musician. The trio was comprised of drums, bass, and electric piano. When they played together, they sounded great. But then, there was the fourth musician. The extra musician played a church organ and occasionally a trombone. First, I need to come clean. I’m not real fond of trombones. I like them in circus bands, 4th of July parades, and in certain Beatles songs. In a jazz quartet, a trombone works as well as….. a church organ. The dual keyboard thing with the occasional trombone just wasn’t working for me. It actually threw me into dark recesses of self reflection mixed with depressive anger. Fortunately, as a professional doorman I was able to sublimate all of that into appropriate behavior. The patron mix this night reflected the discordancy of the trio-plus-one. They were jigsaw puzzle parts from different puzzles thrown together into the same box. It was a strange night that could only be made right at the end of the night by several gulps of Jameson.

No comments:

Post a Comment